Now here is the look of a determined presenter. Look at those sculpted cheek bones, that
scraggly trimmed beard, that set mouth, and that steady gaze. If only the video that follows was that polished. I’m going to have to start using a script.
Let me remind you of my preliminary solution first:
and the finished version for comparison:
I hope your screen is big enough for this as I intend to go measure by measure.
In the first measure of the original we have E -> C -> G notes. In the modified version we start on the E note, move down the scale to C, and then travel up to G. The rhythm of those first notes of the original are changed with the C note happening earlier in time. It flowed so nicely doing it that way that I did the exact same thing in the second measure.
In the third measure there was no easy way to do the same figure again because the E note to C note is further so I skipped a note to keep the same rhythmic feel. You could say that I cheated for the sake of the flow of the music.
The fourth measure is interesting because the distance was too close so I ran past the goal note of G by one scale degree and then came back to it. Measure five was easy.
Measure six was again too short of a distance and I didn’t want to be too repetitive so instead of running past the goal note I went up an extra note and then glided down to the goal.
Measure seven just felt right with that extra note first going one step past the goal and then coming back.
In measure eight, there was no good way to add that extra note so instead I just paused slightly on the G note at the beginning and then ran down.
For the ending all I did was use the notes of the C-Major chord, C – E – G, in a simple upward pattern because it sounded nice and ends with a flourish.
This blocking out a melody with chord members and then connecting the dots has been an interesting exploration for me and I hope you enjoyed it as well. You can take the chord progression from any existing song and apply this method as an easy way to create a new piece.